Share your story better
with our 1-minute manna
Get fresh manna every
morning in your inbox
Get fresh manna every morning in your inbox
Marketing’s autopsy report
Tue, May 25, 2021
Marketing often meets a slow and predictable death in many organizations.
Well, its autopsy report is in, and it confirms the top 5 murderers of marketing to be the usual suspects:
- The CEO (and maybe the board, too) just doesn’t get marketing: If the marketer has to fight with the leadership for marketing’s sake, the marketer and marketing almost always lose.
- The CMO isn’t an A-player: If the marketing team isn’t built and led well, it’s because A-players hire A-players and B-players hire C-players.
- Marketing attribution is operating a decade behind: If the podcast isn’t approved because its ROI can’t be easily measured but conferences that can’t justify ROI are retained, marketing is stuck in 2005.
- Marketing and sales are competing with – not complementing – each other: They should be united on goals, ownership, budgets, lead quality, etc., not fighting one another over these.
- “That’s how we’ve always done it here.”: Marketing dies at the hands of those who cannot embrace change.
Do you recognize any of these marketing murderers in your organization? Click here and let me know.